Savor the Tandoori Chicken Pizza over the weekend with friends and family! This enticing pizza has a tandoori masala flavored tomato sauce. Piles of shredded mozzarella cheese. Then topped with crunchy red onion and succulent tandoori chicken pieces. The aromatic cilantro garnish adds a wonderful freshness.
The highlight of the tandoori chicken pizza is the exclusive char on the chicken. The authentic marinade and cooking process makes the chicken taste incredible when cooked. Plus the authentic Indian Masala sauce adds some creamy spice to the mix.
What is Tandoori?
Different foods such as flat bread, meat, veggies, and cottage cheese can be tandoori dishes. This is when you prepare the meal in a tandoor oven. A tandoor is a cylinder-shaped clay oven with a charcoal fire burning at the base of the pot.
In the case of tandoori chicken, it is first coated with a thick yogurt-spice mixture. Then marinated for hours or overnight. After that it is skewered, and placed inside the tandoor. It results in a beautiful charred exterior. And a juicy and soft inside. Plus the chicken has a delectable smoky flavor.
Substitutions for Tandoori Chicken Pizza
Greek yogurt is basically the thick yogurt achieved after straining out the whey. You can substitute it with regular yogurt. To achieve the thick consistency, place the regular yogurt in a fine-mesh sieve or muslin cloth. Then place it on top of a mug or bowl and leave it overnight.
Besides making the dough from scratch, you can also buy pre-made pizza dough. This will eliminate the proofing time allowing you to focus on the tandoori chicken.
You could make this a deep dish pizza. Just use a deep dish pan and form the dough up the sides. Layer slices of cheese right on the dough. Then add the chicken and onions. Finally pour the masala sauce over the top. Bake for 20-25 mins or until the crust browns.
The tandoori chicken masala is prepared using 11-12 whole spices. Then they are dry-toasted and powdered. You may alternate it with tandoori paste or a tandoori tikka masala package. You can find these at most indian or asian markets.
Store and Reheat
After the pizza has cooled completely, transfer the leftover pizza slice into an airtight container lined with a paper towel. Place a paper towel between each pizza slice and on top of the final slice. Tightly close the lid and keep it in the refrigerator to last for 3-5 days. If you have excessive leftover pizza, transfer the containers to the freezer. It will last up to 6 months.
To reheat, warm a pan on the stove on medium heat for 1-2 minutes. Place a pizza slice on for a few minutes until the crust turns crunchy. Then reduce heat to low and drizzle 2-4 drops of water on the sides of the pan. Make sure it doesn’t touch the pizza slice. Finally, cover the pan for 1-3 minutes until the cheese melts.
Reheating in this manner saves the pizza slice from drying out. It also crisps up the crust without burning it on the bottom!
How to make Tandoori Chicken pizza
Tandoori pizza is easy to make. There are 5 tasks to complete, but the end result is worth it!
- Marinate the chicken – Combine all the marinade ingredients in a bowl or Ziplock bag. Add the chicken and massage it in. Leave in fridge for at least 1 hour or up to overnight.
- Prepare the dough – Place the yeast in warm water for 10 minutes, or until foamy. Then combine all the dry ingredients into a large bowl. Slowly poor in the yeast water while mixing. Knead for 5-6 minutes then set aside to proof for 1 hour.
- Cook the sauce – First, puree the tomatoes in a food processor. Add the garlic to a pan and cook for 15-30 seconds. Add in your pureed tomatoes and onion paste. Mix well. Toss in the seasonings and simmer for 20 minutes, partially covered. Set aside once desired consistency is reached.
- Grill the tandoori chicken – Skewer the chicken pieces and grill on high, uncovered, for 10-12 minutes. Be sure to flip them every 2-3 minutes. Set aside in a cool bowl.
- Assemble and bake – Roll out the proofed tandoori pizza dough into a 12-14″ crust. Spread on the Tikka-masala pizza sauce followed by the cheese. Evenly distribute the chicken pieces. Then bake for 10-15 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and cheese has melted. Enjoy!
Tandoori Chicken Pizza FAQ
Can I make tandoori chicken in a pizza oven?
Absolutely yes! A tandoor oven reaches temperatures of 900 degrees. Most pizza ovens on the market reach that and more. This will allow you to get a good char on the chicken. We recommend a good wood-fired oven like the Ooni Karu 12. Adds a tone of smokiness to the tandoori chicken.
Just place the chicken directly on the pizza stone once heated. Make sure to flip and turn to get charring on both sides. This happens quick in there, so keep an eye on it. Then use the pizza oven again to cook the assembled pizza for 60-90 seconds.
Is Tandoori chicken pizza spicy?
While being spiced with many spices, tandoori chicken pizza is actually pretty mild. The tandoori tikka masala blend contains very little heat, if any. Rest assured, this pizza can be enjoyed by many.
It is possible to make this a spicy pizza. Just add 1 tsp of cayenne pepper to both the sauce and chicken marinade. This will give the tandoori chicken pizza a bold heat. Plus it adds flavor to 2 elements of the meal.
Is tandoori chicken pizza the same as chicken tikka pizza?
Tandoori chIcken and chicken tikka have similar cooking methods. However, when it comes to bbq, tandoori chicken cooks with the bone-in. And can consist of parts from the entire chicken. While chicken tikka is breast meat cut into pieces. So this tandoori chicken pizza is also known as chicken tikka pizza.
If you’re feeling authentic, grab some chicken legs in place of the breast. Just skin the drumsticks and marinate the same way. Try to marinate overnight. Then cook the chicken until the temperature reads reads 170-175 F. Let it cool. Finally break off pieces to top the pizza.
More Pizza Recipes
- Deli style breakfast pizza is a feast …
- Savor the Italian delicacy in the …
- Italian pizza fritta is a deep-fried …
- Cuban style pizza is delicious, …
- Thai-style satay pizza with peanut …
- This Argentinian pizza, called …